Header Ads

Szczesny reveals chat with Pena after arriving at Barca

FC Barcelona v BSC Young Boys - UEFA Champions League 2024/25 League Phase MD2
Photo by Joan Valls/Urbanandsport/NurPhoto via Getty Images

The two goalkeepers have spoken

Wojciech Szczesny has revealed he’s chatted with Inaki Pena after arriving at Barcelona to bolster Hansi Flick’s goalkeeping options in the wake of Marc-Andre ter Stegen’s injury.

The former Juventus stopper is now expected to rival Pena for a starting spot, but he’s told Mundo Deportivo that his main aim right now is to help the youngster.

“I made it clear to him that my main priority at the moment is to help him, because I am not ready to play, I was on holiday for two months and I need time to be able to guarantee a level to represent the shirt,” he said.

“That is why I would not like to come back too soon. My priority is to help him play as well as possible because we need him in very good shape. He has been playing very well.”

Szczesny also played down suggestions he wanted guarantees he would start at Barcelona after deciding to come out of retirement.

“No, that’s not true. Nobody can give you that guarantee anyway because you have to earn your place. And once you earn your place, you’ll have to play well enough to keep it,” he explained.

“As I said, I’m here to help. And in what sense the club needs me to help is up to the manager. If it’s to help Iñaki have the best season he can have, I’ll help him in that way. If it’s on the pitch, I’ll help him in that way. And I think I can do both at a very good level.”

It remains to be seen when Szczesny will be match fit, although Robert Lewandowski has claimed he’ll only need “two weeks” of training to be ready.



Source: barcablaugranes.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.