Header Ads

Eric Abidal explains why he left Barcelona

UEFA Europa League Trophy Tour Driven by Kia Photo by Xavi Torrent/Getty Images for Right Formula

The sporting director has followed Quique Setien out

Eric Abidal has taken to social media to explain why he decided to leave his position as sporting director at Barcelona.

The Frenchman has followed manager Quique Setien in departing the Camp Nou in the wake of the club’s humiliating Champions League exit.

President Josep Maria Bartomeu said earlier this week that it was Abidal’s decision to leave, and the 40-year-old has now explained his thinking.

“Over the last two years, I tried to make changes that I thought were very important for the first team. But, despite my conviction and persistence, I failed. This second goodbye brings to a close two years where I tried to work to make Barcelona better.

“Two intense seasons which I decided to bring to an end on my own accord. Whilst the board gave me a vote of confidence on Monday, I provided my resignation on Tuesday, waiving the rights to the final year of my contract with Barcelona.

“The moment has come to draw a line under the link between me and the club. Right now the club’s situation is complicated, but be in no doubt that I hope with all my heart that it will recover and that success soon returns just as this great club deserves.”

Eric Abidal | Instagram

Ramon Planes has taken over from Abidal at Barcelona and spoke about the club’s future plans on Thursday during Pedri’s unveiling. The new technical director said: “We want to build a project with young [players] and Messi. We are clear that we want to build a team of youngsters.”



Source: barcablaugranes.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.