Header Ads

De Jong hasn’t spoken to Messi, says his departure would be ‘huge blow’

FC Barcelona v Levante - Liga Photo by Joan Valls/Urbanandsport /NurPhoto via Getty Images

The midfielder is currently training with the Dutch national team

With Lionel Messi ready to leave Barcelona, Frenkie De Jong becomes one of the most important pieces of the team next season and a huge part of the club’s hopes of a successful rebuild.

De Jong is currently training with the Dutch national team ahead of the return of the UEFA Nations League, and he was asked by a couple of different outlets about Messi as expected. Frenkie says he hasn’t spoken to Messi at all, and he’s not thinking about it while away in international duty.

“I haven’t talked to him about this myself. Nor the club. So I honestly do not know how it is. But if Messi really leaves, it will be a huge blow to the team and the club. When I come back after these international matches, I will see what has happened at the club.

“I didn’t call him. I think enough people want to know about him. I don’t have such a good relationship with him that I call him and ask him how it is.”

Source: Football-Oranje

Frenkie De Jong might be the most honest player in the Barcelona squad, at least when it comes to dealing with the media. Sounds to me like he’ll be sad that Messi is leaving but is not losing sleep over it. If the entire team has the same attitude and is looking forward to taking on more responsibility once the captain is gone, this rebuild thing might work after all.



Source: barcablaugranes.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.