Header Ads

Kounde relishing Vinicius Jr test ahead in El Clasico

FC Barcelona v Real Madrid CF: Semi Final Second Leg - Copa Del Rey
Photo by Fantasista/Getty Images

El Clasico is up next at the Bernabeu

Barcelona defender Jules Kounde says he’s relishing the prospect of taking on Vinicius Junior on Sunday in El Clasico.

The Catalans head to the Santiago Bernabeu aiming to cut the gap on the league leaders to just five points.

Xavi has tended to deploy Ronald Araujo against Vinicius Junior in recent games, but Kounde says he’s looking forward to facing the Brazilian.

“I think he is without a doubt one of the best wingers in the world, so I face him with great desire. I think it will also be a collective issue because players like Kylian, Vinicius or others are difficult,” he told DAZN.

“You won’t be able to stop him alone in every match. You have to do it collectively, so you shouldn’t leave him space or time to think.

“We played against Madrid a lot. We know what their strengths and shortcomings are. So we are improving, working tactically on what we can do to get the three points and play a big game.

“I think against Madrid it’s important to have the ball. And take care of it, minimizing losses because we know that one of their big strengths is launching counter-attacks.”

Kounde also spoke about his continued use at right-back, rather than as a center-half, and says he’s had to learn a lot about playing on the flank.

“I never refused to play in any position. But sometimes that’s what people say. For me, it is not a problem,” he added.

“True, my natural position is centre-back. So it was difficult for me and I had to work to improve my performance. And I think that’s what I do, it’s true that playing there makes me feel more comfortable.

“I still have a lot to improve at all levels because defending in the centre and defending on the wing are two completely different things. You face different types of players.

“It’s another challenge, I see it as a challenge to be more complete as a player, to progress in some aspects.

“And really, that’s what excites me, always improving, being a better player. Playing on the wing allows me to do that, although as I always said, my favourite position is central defence.”

It remains to be seen how Xavi will line up his defence on Sunday, but it seems likely Kounde will start on the right with Ronald Araujo partnering Pau Cubarsi in the heart of the defence.



Source: barcablaugranes.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.