Header Ads

Yamal explains why he turned down Olympic call-up

Spain v Italy: Group B - UEFA EURO 2024
Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

The youngster will not play in Paris

Lamine Yamal has been chatting about his decision not to be part of Spain’s Olympic squad for the 2024 Paris Games.

The teenager is currently with La Roja at Euro 2024 but had been given the opportunity to play in Paris as well.

Barcelona team-mates Eric Garcia, Pau Cubarsi and Fermin Lopez have been called up to the squad but there’s no place for Yamal.

Spain’s starlet says Barcelona left the decision up to him, and he decided it would not be the right move to make this summer.

“The Olympics are one of the biggest things you can play, but I have a significant load of minutes. I want to have a very long career and I would be very angry with myself if something happened to me this year while doubling,” he told Onda Cero.

“I think I have time to play them ( ...) Barça told me that it was my decision, but I thought the best thing was to rest and come back better for the next season.”

Yamal’s decision will be warmly welcomed by Barca fans who have seen the youngster play regularly this season after breaking into the starting XI for both club and country despite still being only 16.



Source: barcablaugranes.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.