Header Ads

Ter Stegen says Germany situation ‘drives me a bit mad’

Germany v Netherlands - UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifier Photo by Boris Streubel/Getty Images

The Barcelona stopper is not first choice for his country

Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen has been talking about his situation with the German national team and says being on the bench “drives me a bit mad.”

The 27-year-old remains behind Manuel Neuer in the pecking order at international level despite consistently excellent form for Barcelona.

He was on the bench for Germany’s defeat to the Netherlands on Friday and can expect more bench time on Monday against Northern Ireland.

Ter Stegen has now spoken about his frustration and says he wants to be first choice.

“Obviously, it drives me a bit mad. You give the best of yourself and you aren’t where you want to be,” he said.

”I have established my priorities. I want to be successful and the big objective I have is to be the first choice keeper for my country.

“But not at any price. Football is one thing but humanity is more important. I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror and say ‘you worked honestly and dealt openly with your ambitions.”

“It’s not easy at all, but patience is part of being a footballer. There are times when you have to wait.

Source | T-Online

Yet it seems as though Ter Stegen will have to continue being patient. Neuer has said recently he has no plans to retire and feels “very much needed” in the national team.



Source: barcablaugranes.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.