Header Ads

Koeman talks lunch with Laporta, Barca future & Mingueza

Villarreal CF v FC Barcelona - La Liga Santander
Photo by Jose Breton/Pics Action/NurPhoto via Getty Images

The latest from the Barcelona boss

Ronald Koeman faced the press on Saturday ahead of Barcelona’s final home game of the 2020-21 season at the Camp Nou against Celta Vigo.

The Barcelona boss had to field plenty of questions about his future but also talked about the title race, Barcelona Femeni and his team’s lack of goals from midfield.

Here are the best bits:

Koeman on Barca’s title hopes

I think the important thing is to continue to believe, to continue to fight, and to win these last two games. We know given the last few results our options to win the league aren’t good but let’s see. Mathematically it’s still possible but we need to win our matches.

Koeman on his lunch with Laporta

I can’t give you too much detail. We talked about the team, the season, these last few results and we said we’d talk again at the end of the season.

Koeman on if it would be fair if he was sacked

It’s always important to analyze the entire season. You have to know the moment when I came in how the team was, what we have done this season. We know the difficulties we’ve had. Of course we are disappointed we didn’t capitalize on the moments when we could have been league leaders. But for any manager it’s important to work at a club when you have absolute confidence from the club. For a coach that’s most important and if that’s the case then I think yes I can continue.

Koeman on his future

Like I said, we’ll talk at the end of the season. I want to continue, I’m very happy. I think we’ve improved and we still have a lot to improve. I don’t think the journey is over yet. In my opinion yes there are a lot of positive things. To say everything is perfect and then two weeks later it’s horrible - I don’t think that’s right.

Koeman on if Barca have thrown the league away

No we haven’t thrown the league away. We were 12, 13 points behind at one point but thanks to our spectacular comeback and also because Atletico and Real Madrid dropped points....Above all the games against Granada, Levante and Atletico...with those results we could have become league leaders. Against Granada we lost a massive opportunity but that’s just one game.

Koeman on if he feels supported by the players

I do feel the support from my players. I think I am a coach that tries to be clear and open. When there’s a problem, I talk with my players. We have to make decisions that doesn’t make everyone happy. I am a manager who thinks about the club. I let Mingueza play with Barcelona B tomorrow despite our situation. We have to thank the player because he wanted to play with the B team to try and win and play the last game when they can win promotion.

Koeman on if he has a message to fans

I think the fans have seen a team who has played some fantastic games this season. I think the team has shown they are very hungry to win. We have to admit as well that during key moments of the season we haven’t won certain matches. For example against Levante in the second half that is not the level we are supposed to give. This team has a future, if we can be active in the transfer market and get what we think is missing to move a step forward I think we can be very excited about this team for next season.

Koeman on if he needs more goals from midfield

Yes, sure I would like that. It can’t be that we only depend on Messi. We need more players to score more goals but we need to remember that we are second in Europe for the amount of goals scored, I think only Bayern is ahead of us. It’s important for me to play the Barca style.

Koeman on Barca’s women in UCL final

I think they have improved a lot. I saw some matches where it shows that they are in great form and still capable of doing more. It’s possible they will win the UCL and it’s important for them and the club. My advice? Despite the importance of the occasion you should know that you got there through your own merit. They are ambitious and have good quality so hopefully besides enjoying the final they can also win.

Koeman on if he feels mistreated at Barca

Yes a little bit the last two weeks. If you analyze the whole season you have to analyze the young players, that we won the cup, that we had 12-13 points less but we are still fighting for the league, that’s what you neeed to analyze. If you hear the media in the last few days it looks like I did a really bad job and I don’t agree.



Source: barcablaugranes.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.